About WGU Texas
An online university created to prepare Texans for 21st century careers
Introducing WGU Texas
WGU Texas is a nonprofit, online university designed to expand access to higher education for Texas residents. Established by the state of Texas through a partnership with nationally recognized Western Governors University, WGU Texas offers more than 50 accredited undergraduate and graduate degree programs in high-demand career fields.
WGU Texas expands access to higher education for adult learners by providing:
- Access to quality education. An online, state-endorsed university, WGU Texas makes challenging, nationally recognized degree programs available to Texans who are not able to attend traditional colleges and universities.
- Career-focused bachelor's and master's degrees. WGU Texas offers accredited degree programs in Business, Information Technology, Teacher Education, and Health Professions (including Nursing) that are relevant to the needs of Texas employers.
- Affordable tuition. A nonprofit university, WGU Texas' tuition is very affordable, comparing very favorably to other colleges and universities. Tuition is charged at a flat rate for six-month terms.
- Flexible online degree program. At WGU Texas, you will leverage the power of online learning to make your program as flexible as possible. You'll be able to balance work and family obligations while you complete your studies. And, we’ll never hold you back—if you have the time to devote to your studies, you can accelerate, finishing sooner and saving tuition costs.
A Proven Academic Model from a Nationally Recognized University, Customized for Texans
WGU Texas is the state’s only competency-based university, leveraging an innovative approach to education pioneered by our parent institution, Western Governors University (WGU). Western Governors University was founded in 1997 by 19 U.S. governors, including former Texas Governor and U.S. President George W. Bush.
As part of a partnership with the state of Texas, Western Governors University provides the curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services for WGU Texas.
WGU Texas offers Texans:
- Competency-based education model that measures learning, not credit hours. WGU Texas uses WGU's unique competency-based approach to education. You'll advance in your degree program by demonstrating essential skills and knowledge in your chosen field.
- Superior learning resources. You'll have 24/7 access to all of WGU's courses of study, online learning modules, electronic textbooks, web-based tutorials, and simulations as you work to complete your program.
- Affordable flat-rate tuition. At WGU Texas, you pay tuition at a flat rate—you aren’t charged by course or credit hour. Unlike traditional colleges and universities that operate on set semesters or quarters, WGU Texas operates on six-month terms that can begin on the first of any month. Your own commitment and effort determine how much you can complete during each six-month term, which may allow you to shorten your time to completion. So, by working harder and applying your prior education and experience, you can finish faster and save money.
- Full accreditation. As a subsidiary of Western Governors University, WGU Texas offers degree programs that are regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. Through the same relationship, the Teachers College at WGU Texas offers teaching degrees that are accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and WGU Texas' bachelor’s and master’s programs in nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, 202-887-6791).
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. Online doesn't mean alone at WGU Texas. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your personal point of contact and your guide throughout your degree. You'll find that you'll actually receive greater support from your mentor than you ever did in a traditional university setting.
- An online community for Texas students and access to WGU's national student community. You'll also be able to take advantage of WGU's student community and interact with students both within Texas and from all over the country and abroad.
- The University of You. At WGU Texas, we believe everyone has the right to earn a college degree. And we believe the path to that degree should be accessible, flexible and affordable. We believe life experience should count for something, independent learning should be celebrated, and focus and determination rewarded. We believe in you. Read more about The University of You.
A State-Approved University on a Mission
WGU Texas was established in 2011 with a mission to help Texans complete high quality bachelor’s and master’s degrees affordably and without disrupting their lives. When Western Governors University was established in 1997, the founding governors realized that technology, the Internet, and a new model of competency-based education could transform higher education by creating new opportunities for students who, because of jobs, family, or geography, do not have access to more traditional colleges and universities.
The mission of WGU Texas is to expand access to affordable higher education for Texas residents through online, competency-based degree programs that address key workforce needs.