B.S. Human Resource Management Degree at WGU Texas
WGU Texas’s online human resource degree will prepare you for a successful HR career. The B.S. in Business—Human Resource Management degree provides expertise in the management of people at work, giving you the skills and knowledge to become an effective HR manager and staff specialist.
Who the program is for:
- Experienced HR professionals who are seeking a bachelor’s degree and the comprehensive HR body of knowledge to move up the HR career ladder.
- Experienced business professionals who seek entry into an HR career and need a bachelor’s degree to do so.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Texas’s online human resource degree program, you’ll learn all the essential skills and knowledge needed. This program includes the following areas of study and completion of a professional portfolio and capstone project.
- Leadership and Management
- General Education
- Business Law and Ethics
- Human Resources
- Information Systems Management
- Quantitative Analysis for Business
- Project Management
- Marketing and Communication
This program covers the six categories that make up the HR Body of Knowledge established by the Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI).
Total Program: 120 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Note: Your prior college experience may waive some degree requirements.
As part of this program, you will be required to pass the CompTIA Project+ certification exam (included in the cost of tuition). Additionally, this program is aligned with and will help you prepare for the Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) Certification Exam and the Assurance of Learning® Exam.
Further information about these exams:
- The Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) Certification Exam (administered by the HR Certification Institute (HRCI)). Other experience requirements apply to undertake this exam. See HRCI for details.
- The Assurance of Learning® Exam (administered by the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)). See SHRM for details.
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
At WGU Texas, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours)12 CUs is the minimum for undergraduate studentsas well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Texas state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Texas, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Texas Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Texas, WGU Texas leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in human resource management.
As a WGU Texas student, you'll receive a top-notch business education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Texas program.
- Online communities from Texas and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Texas and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Texas higher education, at WGU Texas you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Texas is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
For students with an associate’s degree or its equivalent: 2 to 2½ years.
For students with little or no prior college: 4 to 5 years.
WGU Texas maintains a generous credit transfer policy. Learn more about transferring credits.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Texas Admission Process
To enroll in a WGU Texas business bachelor's degree program, you must:
- Be a Texas resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Complete Western Governors University's three-part online Readiness Assessment. This test helps determine your likelihood for success in a WGU Texas degree program. This requirement will be waived for applicants who possess an AA or AS degree.