MEd Instructional Design
WGU Texas’ online instructional design degree will develop your curriculum and instructional expertise. The M.Ed. in Instructional Design will prepare you to use technology for instructional purposes and allow you to focus on larger curricular or year-long development plans. You will become an instructional design expert.
Who the program is for:
- Licensed teachers, specialists in art, music, and literature, district curriculum developers, and corporate trainers who want to increase their curriculum development skills and advance their careers.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Note: As part of Western Governors University, the online teaching degree programs at WGU Texas are NCATE accredited.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Texas’ online master’s in instructional design, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed to become an instructional design expert. This program includes the following areas of study and completion of a capstone project. This program does not result in an endorsement or an initial teaching license.
Instructional Design and Performance Improvement
Measurement and Evaluation
Total Program: 31 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
At WGU Texas, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours)8 CUs is the minimum for graduate studentsas well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Texas state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Texas, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Texas Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Texas, WGU Texas leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in instructional design.
As a WGU Texas student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Texas program.
- Online communities from Texas and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Texas and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Texas higher education, at WGU Texas you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Texas is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
Standard Time to Completion: 2 to 2½ years.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Texas Admission Process
To enroll into this WGU Texas program, you must:
- Be a Texas resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess and provide proof of earning a bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a regionally accredited institution.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can help you understand what is required of you.