MA in Mathematics Education
WGU Texas’ online master’s in math education will provide you with specialized knowledge and solid math teaching skills. The M.A. in Mathematics Education will prepare you to certify in the high-demand teaching field of secondary mathematics or provide you with professional development for teaching elementary school math. You will become a better math teacher with sophisticated instruction and research skills.
Who the program is for:
- Licensed teachers with a bachelor’s degree who wish to earn secondary certification in mathematics as well as a master’s degree.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Note: As part of Western Governors University, the online teaching degree programs at WGU Texas are NCATE accredited.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Texas’ online math education master’s degree, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed to become a highly qualified middle school or high school mathematics teacher. This program includes one to two domains of study and completion of a capstone project (for the elementary option) or a teacher work sample.
For the elementary (K-6) option:
- Elementary Math Education
- Research Fundamentals
For the middle school (5-9) option:
- Mathematics Content (Grades 5-9)
- Research Fundamentals
For the high school (5-12) option:
- Mathematics Content (Grades 5-12)
Elementary (K-6) Option: 30 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Middle School (5-9) Option: 34 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
High School (5-12) Option: 34 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
At WGU Texas, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours)8 CUs is the minimum for graduate studentsas well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Texas state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Texas, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Texas Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Texas, WGU Texas leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in mathematics education.
As a WGU Texas student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Texas program.
- Online communities from Texas and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Texas and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Texas higher education, at WGU Texas you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Texas is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
Standard Time to Completion: 2 to 2½ years.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Texas Admission Process
To be admitted into this WGU Texas program, you must:
- Be a Texas resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess and provide proof of earning a bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess a current, valid teaching license.
- Show proof of having completed a college-level Precalculus or Calculus course with a grade of C or better. Why do you have these requirements?
You will also be required to take and pass Western Governors University’s three-part online Readiness Assessment. This test helps determine your likelihood for success in a WGU Texas degree program.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can help you understand what is required of you.