BA in Mathematics
WGU Texas’ online math degree puts you in high demand. The B.A. in Mathematics (5-9 or 5-12) prepares you for secondary licensure in middle school or high school mathematics. You will become a highly qualified math teacher who is ready to fill a vital position in schools across Texas.
Who the program is for:
- Individuals with a considerable mathematics background who need a bachelor’s degree and want to become a middle school or high school mathematics teacher.
- Unlicensed substitute teachers, career changers, retired military personnel, school paraprofessionals, and others who feel the call to teach.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Note: As part of Western Governors University, the online teaching degree programs at WGU Texas are NCATE accredited.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Texas’ online math education degree program, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed to become a highly qualified middle school or high school math teacher. This program includes the following areas of study, supervised practice teaching in an actual classroom, and completion of a professional portfolio.
Choice of one of the following:
- Middle School Mathematics Content (or)
- High School Mathematics Content
Plus all of the following:
- General Education
- Teacher Education Diversity
- Teacher Education Foundations
- Preclinical Experiences
- Instructional Planning and Presentation
- Mathematics Education
- Demonstration Teaching (includes practice teaching)
Middle School (5-9) Option: 120 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
High School (5-12) Option: 123 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: Any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Note: Your prior college experience may waive some degree requirements.
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
Demonstration Teaching (Student Teaching) Fee: $1,000 ($100 application fee + $900 fee)
At WGU Texas, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours)12 CUs is the minimum for undergraduate studentsas well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Texas state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Texas, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Texas Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Texas, WGU Texas leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in teaching middle school or high school mathematics.
As a WGU Texas student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Texas program.
- Online communities from Texas and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Texas and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Texas higher education, at WGU Texas you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Texas is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
For students with an associate’s degree or its equivalent: 2 to 2½ years.
For students with little or no prior college: 4 to 5 years.
WGU Texas maintains a generous credit transfer policy. Learn more about transferring credits.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Texas Admission Process
To be admitted into this WGU Texas program, you must:
- Be a Texas resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Show proof of having completed a college-level Precalculus or Calculus course with a grade of C or better. Why do you have these requirements?
You will also be required to take and pass the WGU Readiness Assessmenta short, online admissions tests that helps determine your likelihood of success in a WGU Texas program.
Demonstration Teaching Special Requirements:
Before beginning the Demonstration Teaching (student teaching) portion of the degree program, you will be required to complete the PRAXIS I Pre-Professional Skills Test and the PRAXIS II Mathematics exam. Registering and paying for these exams may be your responsibility. You are required to meet these Texas-specific requirements prior to beginning the Foundations of Teaching domain of study.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can help you understand what is required of you.