B.A. in Physics
WGU Texas’ online physics degree prepares you to teach how the world moves. The B.A. in Science (Physics, 5-12), with its specialization in physics, teaches you the skills and knowledge in general science, advanced physics, and teaching methods necessary to become a highly qualified high school physics teacher.
Who the program is for:
- Individuals with a considerable science background (physics-specific is helpful) who need a bachelor’s degree and want to become a high school physics teacher.
- Unlicensed substitute teachers, career changers, retired military personnel, school paraprofessionals, and others who feel the call to teach.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Note: As part of Western Governors University, the online teaching degree programs at WGU Texas are NCATE accredited.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Texas’ online physics degree program, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed to become a highly qualified high school physics teacher. This program includes the following areas of study, supervised practice teaching in an actual classroom, and completion of a professional portfolio.
- Teacher Education Foundations
- General Education
- General Science Content
- Teacher Education Diversity
- Physics Content (Grades 5-12)
- Science Education
- Preclinical Experiences
- Instructional Planning and Presentation
- Demonstration Teaching (includes practice teaching)
Total Program: 122 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: Any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Note: Your prior college experience may waive some degree requirements.
This program also includes a home science lab. The self-contained laboratory kit includes the lab manual, science equipment, specimens, supplies, and chemicals necessary to complete college lab experiments at home.
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
Science Lab Fee: $350 (one time)
Demonstration Teaching (Student Teaching) Fee: $1,000 ($100 application fee + $900 fee)
At WGU Texas, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours)12 CUs is the minimum for undergraduate studentsas well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Texas state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Texas, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Texas Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Texas, WGU Texas leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in teaching high school physics.
As a WGU Texas student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Texas program.
- Online communities from Texas and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Texas and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Texas higher education, at WGU Texas you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Texas is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
For students with an associate’s degree or its equivalent: 2 to 2½ years.
For students with little or no prior college: 4 to 5 years.
WGU Texas maintains a generous credit transfer policy. Learn more about transferring credits.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Texas Admission Process
To be admitted into this WGU Texas program, you must:
- Be a Texas resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Show proof of having completed a Pre-Calculus or Calculus course as well as a Natural Science course (in Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Geosciences) which includes a lab with a grade of C or better. Why do you have these requirements?
You will also be required to take and pass the WGU Readiness Assessmenta short, online admissions tests that helps determine your likelihood of success in a WGU Texas program.
Demonstration Teaching Special Requirements:
Before beginning the Demonstration Teaching (student teaching) portion of the degree program, you will be required to complete the PRAXIS I Pre-Professional Skills Test and the PRAXIS II Science exam. Registering and paying for these exams may be your responsibility. You are required to meet these Texas-specific requirements prior to beginning the Foundations of Teaching domain of study.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can help you understand what is required of you.