B.S. Nursing (RN to BSN) at WGU Texas
WGU Texas' online RN to BSN program will enhance your personal status, boost your salary, and increase your job security while helping your hospital achieve "magnet" status. The B.S. in Nursing expands your knowledge and skills beyond the clinical aspects of nursing to give you background in evidence-based practice, patient safety, and technology integration, as well as healthcare systems and policies. You will become a more accomplished nurse ready to ascend the ranks.
The program requires a minimum of 90 hours of mentor-guided clinical experience in a qualified community health services setting, such as a public health department or clinic.
Your Program of Study
In this online RN to BSN degree program, you’ll learn all the essential skills and knowledge needed to become a more accomplished nurse. This program includes the subject areas and areas of study that are reflective of the Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice established by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, plus a capstone project.
- General Education
- Health Sciences
- Chemistry Content
- Nursing Theory and Practice
- Nursing Science
Total Program: 120 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits. Typically individuals possessing an RN license will clear at least 50 CUs through transfer.
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $3,250 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
Nursing Program Fee: $350 (one time)
Other student responsibilities:
- Criminal Background Check: $42
At WGU Texas, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours) 12 CUs is the minimum for undergraduate students as well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Texas state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Texas, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Texas Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Texas, WGU Texas leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in nursing.
As a WGU Texas student, you’ll receive a top-notch nursing education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU's courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Texas program.
- Online communities from Texas and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Texas and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Texas higher education, at WGU Texas you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Texas is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
Standard time to completion: 18 months*
* Standard time to completion is an estimated time to completion for RNs with associate's degrees who can clear all liberal arts requirements for this degree. Time to completion varies.
WGU Texas maintains a generous credit transfer policy. Learn more about transferring credits.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Texas Admission Process
To enroll into this WGU Texas RN to BSN online bachelor's degree program, you must:
- Be a Texas resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess an associate's degree or diploma in nursing.
- Possess a current, unencumbered registered nurse (RN) license.
- Be working in a position that requires use of nursing knowledge and expertise at the time of application and enrollment.