M.S. Nursing Education (RN to MSN) at WGU Texas
WGU Texas’ online RN to MSN program will enhance your personal status and prepare you to teach the next generation of nurses. You’ll complete bachelor’s degree coursework and earn your master’s degree. Competencies for this specialty were derived from the NLN Nurse Educator standards and the Masters Essentials for Professional Nursing practice. The coursework will prepare you to become an accomplished nurse educator.
Who the program is for:
- Registered nurses (RNs) who possess an associate’s degree or diploma in nursing, have a current unencumbered RN license, and wish to earn a master’s degree to move into nursing education.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Texas’ online master’s in nursing education, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed to become an effective nurse educator. This program includes the following areas of study, the completion of a capstone project and a 40-hour practicum requirement in nursing education.
- General Education
- Health Sciences
- Chemistry Content
- Nursing Theory and Practice
- Nursing Science
- MSN Professional Nursing Core
- Nursing Education
The curriculum of WGU's RN to MSN online program incorporates the Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Practice and the Essentials of Masters Education from Professional Practice established by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN).
Total Program: 147 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: Any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $3,250 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
Nursing Program Fee: $350 (one time)
Other student responsibilities:
- Criminal Background Check: $42
At WGU Texas, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours) 8 CUs is the minimum for graduate students as well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Texas state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Texas, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Texas Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Texas, WGU Texas leverages Western Governors University's unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in nurse education.
As a WGU Texas student, you'll receive a top-notch nursing education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU's courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Texas program.
- Online communities from Texas and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Texas and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Texas higher education, at WGU Texas you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Texas is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
Standard Time to Completion: 4 years.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Texas Admission Process
To enroll into this WGU Texas program, you must:
- Be a Texas resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess an associate's degree or diploma in nursing.
- Possess a current, unencumbered RN license.
- Be working in a position that requires use of nursing knowledge and expertise at the time of application and enrollment.