MS in Information Security and Assurance at WGU Texas
Our online information security master’s program will give you a tremendous advantage in this highly competitive field. The M.S. in Information Security and Assurance will prepare you with the necessary skills for the protection of networks, communication, and data, as well as the knowledge base for planning, implementing, and managing enterprise level security and system integrity. You will become an expert IT security and assurance manager.
This program has been certified by the National Security Agency’s Information Assurance Courseware Evaluation (IACE) Program. This certification verifies that WGU’s courseware meets the requirements established by the Committee on National Security Systems National Training Standards No. 4011 (Information Systems Security Professionals) and 4012 (Senior Systems Managers).
Who the Program is for:
- Experienced IT professionals seeking to move into IT security and assurance management positions and need the credentials to do so.
- Individuals with "real world" experience who seek in-depth knowledge and skills in IT security and assurance.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Texas’ online master’s in information security, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed to become an effective IT security and assurance manager. This program includes the following areas of study and completion of a capstone project.
Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices
Cyberlaw, Regulations and Compliance
Forensics and Network Intrusion
Security Policy and Standards
Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response
Total Program: 30 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Note: This program is aligned with security standards put in place by the National Security Agency (NSA) and encompasses the 10 security domains that are the foundation of the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
Recognized IT Certification Exams Incorporated into this Program
This program incorporates several IT certification exams into the curriculum. You will study for and complete the following certification exams (which are all included in your tuitiona huge cost savings):
- Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
- EC-Council Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures (EC0-350)
- EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC0-349)
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
At WGU Texas, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours)8 CUs is the minimum for graduate studentsas well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Texas state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Texas, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Texas Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Texas, WGU Texas leverages Western Governors University's unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in IT security.
As a WGU Texas student, you'll receive a top-notch IT education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU's courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Texas program.
- Online communities from Texas and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Texas and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Texas higher education, at WGU Texas you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Texas is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
Standard Time to Completion: 2 years.
WGU Texas maintains a generous credit transfer policy. Learn more about transferring credits.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Texas Admission Process
To be admitted into this WGU Texas online IT degree program, you must:
- Apply for admission.
- Be a Texas resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or DETC-accredited institution.
- Demonstrate IT security experience through at least one of the following three methods:
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree in IT security or IT networking that covers at least two CISSP CBK domains. (You can find the domains listed here.)
- Hold a CISSP, CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, or GCWN certification that was earned within the last five years.
- Submit a resume for review showing recent significant IT security experience, of at least three years, which demonstrates at least two CISSP CBK domains.
- Complete Western Governors University's online Readiness Assessment. This test helps determine your likelihood for success in a WGU Texas degree program.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to learn more about what is required of you.