B.S. in Information Technology at WGU Texas
The B.S. in Information Technology will give you a foundation of IT skills and knowledge as well as 14 recognized industry certifications that will boost your career’s long-term health. You will become a better IT professional with the knowledge and skills to get ahead.
Who the program is for:
- Established IT professionals who need a bachelor’s degree and additional certifications to advance their careers.
- Experienced professionals with “real world” experience who seek a broad foundation of IT skills and the IT certifications to get ahead.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Texas’ online IT degree program, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed for a broad base of knowledge in information technology. This program includes the following areas of study and completion of a capstone project.
- Information Technology Fundamentals
- General Education
- Web Development
- Windows OS/Server Admin Fundamentals
- Software Development
- Leadership and Management
- Object-Oriented Design and Development
- Project Management
- Technical Writing
Total Program: 122 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Less: Any competency units waived through transfer of prior college credits.
Note: Your prior college experience and IT certifications may waive some degree requirements. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU Texas.
Recognized IT Certifications Incorporated into this Program
This program incorporates 14 recognized industry certifications as part of your degree program. You will study for and complete the following certification exams (which are all included in your tuitiona huge cost savings):
- CIW Web Foundations Associate
- CIW Web Design Specialist
- CIW Database Design Specialist
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Project+
- CompTIA Security+
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Windows OS Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Windows Server Admin Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Networking Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Security Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Software Development Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Database Administration Fundamentals
Note: Your IT certifications may waive some degree requirements. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU Texas.
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
At WGU Texas, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours) 12 CUs is the minimum for undergraduate students as well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Texas state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Texas, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Texas Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Texas, WGU Texas leverages Western Governors University's unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in information technology.
As a WGU Texas student, you'll receive a top-notch IT education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU's courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Texas program.
- Online communities from Texas and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Texas and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Texas higher education, at WGU Texas you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Texas is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.
For students with an associate's degree or its equivalent: 2 to 2½ years.
For students with little or no prior college: 4 to 5 years.
WGU Texas maintains a generous credit transfer policy. Learn more about transferring credits.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Texas Admission Process
To enroll in a WGU Texas IT bachelor’s degree program, you must:
- Be a Texas resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Demonstrate IT experience through at least one of the following four methods:
- Have earned an associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable)
- Have completed the following high-level IT coursework within the last five years:
- Two or more upper-level Networking courses OR
- Two or more upper-level Object-Oriented Programming courses (Java, C#, etc.) OR
- One or more upper-level Operating Systems course OR
- One or more upper-level Information Security and Assurance course
- Hold transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years
- Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience
You will also be required to take and pass Western Governors University’s online Readiness Assessment. This test helps determine your likelihood for success in a WGU Texas degree program.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can help you understand what is required of you.